Bakflip G2 Tonneau Cover Installation
The Bakflip G2 Tonneau Cover is a popular choice among truck owners looking to secure and protect their cargo without sacrificing the aesthetics and functionality of their vehicle.
This hard-folding tonneau cover is notable for its sleek design, durability, and ease of use. Installing the Bakflip G2 doesn’t require specialized skills; with the right guide, you can accomplish it in your driveway.
Unpack and Check Components
Before you begin the installation process, unpack your Bakflip G2 and verify that all components are present and in good condition. The package should contain:
- Bakflip G2 panels (pre-assembled in a folding stack)
- Side rails (driver and passenger)
- Bulkhead seal
- Knobs and washers
- Drain tubes
- Prop rods
Prepare the Truck Bed
- Begin by cleaning your truck bed thoroughly, ensuring that it is free of debris.
- If your truck has a bed liner, ensure the tonneau cover can be securely installed. In some cases, minor modifications to the bed liner might be necessary.
- Apply the bulkhead seal across the bulkhead’s width, ensuring no gaps are present to avoid water infiltration.
Install Side Rails
- Align the side rails along the sides of the truck bed, ensuring they are flush with the bed rail and the bulkhead.
- Use the provided D-clamps to loosely secure the rails in place, starting from the front and working towards the tailgate, maintaining equal spacing between them.
- Adjust the rails as needed, ensuring they are level and straight, then tighten the clamps securely.
Attach the Bakflip G2 Cover
- With the help of another person, lift the Bakflip G2 cover and place it on the bulkhead, ensuring the rubber flap is lying on top of the bulkhead seal.
- Slowly fold down the cover towards the tailgate to check the alignment with the side rails.
- Make adjustments if necessary to ensure the cover is aligned and lying flat when closed.
- Once satisfied with the positioning, fold the cover back towards the cab.
Secure the Cover to the Rails
- Find the bolts and washers supplied with the cover.
- Locate the pre-drilled holes underneath the first panel with the cover folded towards the cab.
- Align them with the corresponding holes in the side rails.
- Install and tighten the bolts and washers, securing the cover to the side rails.
Attach Drain Tubes
- Connect the drain tubes to the fittings found underneath the Bakflip G2’s side rails.
- Ensure the tubes are directed to the truck’s water drainage area, typically available near the tail lights or elsewhere, depending on the vehicle model.
Adjust the Rubber Bumpers
- Place the rubber bumpers on the pre-installed positions on the cover’s first panel to prevent damage when the cover is fully opened and folded back against the cab.
- Ensure they make contact with the cab, protecting it from potential impacts.
Install Prop Rods and Buckles
- Install prop rods using the provided hardware. These rods will hold the cover in place when it is fully opened.
- Secure buckles to the side rails, which will hold the cover in a folded position, enabling safe driving with the cover open.
Perform a Final Check
- Unfold the cover completely, ensuring it aligns well with the tailgate and side rails.
- Check and ensure all clamps, bolts, and hardware are tightly secured.
- Make sure the prop rods and buckles are functioning correctly.
- Open and close the cover several times, observing its operation and ensuring it seals effectively in the closed position.
- Regularly check and tighten all fasteners to ensure ongoing secure installation.
- Clean the cover with mild soap and water or a specialized tonneau cleaner to maintain its appearance and functionality.
Installing a Bakflip G2 Tonneau Cover not only enhances your truck’s appearance but also adds security and protection to your cargo. Following this step-by-step guide ensures a well-secured and properly aligned installation, promising longevity and reliable performance.
Peter Rees, your go-to car parts expert, bridges the gap between mechanics and motorists. With over decades in the automotive industry, he decodes the intricacies of vehicles in his insightful blog, steering readers toward savvy decisions and smooth rides.