Bakflip MX4 Install Instructions
The Bakflip MX4 Tonneau Cover is an essential accessory for truck owners who wish to keep their cargo secure and safe from the elements. Not only does it provide a streamlined look to your truck, but it’s also functional and efficient.
You’re in the right place if you’ve recently purchased this cover for your 2012 Ford F-150 and want to install it yourself. This article will provide a step-by-step guide to ensure a smooth installation process.
Preparing the Truck Bed
- Install the Bulkhead Seal: Begin by cleaning and drying the bulkhead. Utilize an alcohol prep pad to wipe away any residue, ensuring the bulkhead seal adheres correctly.
- Apply the Seal: Gently peel and stick the seal along the edge of the bulkhead, aligning it neatly against the bed rail cap. Be mindful not to expose all the adhesives simultaneously to avoid unintended sticking.
Side Rail Attachment
- Tailgate Positioning: Elevate the tailgate; this ensures the side rail placement will not interfere with its closing.
- Correct Rail Positioning: Ensure the metal piece with a slot is facing the cab and into the truck bed for proper alignment.
- Clamp Placement: Utilize the clamps to secure the rail, ensuring the bolt head faces inward and placing them strategically along the rail for sturdy installation.
Installing the Tonneau Cover
- Proper Alignment: Place the tonneau cover onto the rails, ensuring the shorter flap faces towards the cab. Roll down the cover, ensuring it adequately aligns with the truck bed.
- Buckle Attachment: Insert threaded studs from the underside and secure the buckle with Phillips head screws, ensuring not to overtighten to avoid damage.
- Apply the Bumpers: Adhere bumpers on the tonneau cover, ensuring they are positioned to protect the back of the cab when fully opened.
Securing the Cover
- Inserting the Stud: Place a rubber washer on the stud and insert it through the cover and rail slot, securing it from below with additional washers and a thumb screw.
- Verify Alignment: Before fully tightening, confirm the alignment of the cover and adjust as necessary.
Drainage System Setup
- Attaching Drain Tubes: Secure the drain tubes to the stems on the side rails, directing them through or into the body plugs, ensuring proper drainage from the truck bed.
- Setting up Prop Rods: Attach prop rods, which allow you to open the cover while driving securely.
- Final Check: Close the tonneau cover, inspecting for any misalignments or issues with the sealing. Wrinkles in the seal can be addressed by heat application via a hairdryer or by allowing it to settle naturally over time.
- Operation Test: Open and close the cover multiple times, checking its interaction with the tailgate and ensuring smooth operation.
The BAKFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover elevates the aesthetic appeal of your Ford F-150 and enhances its functionality by providing secure storage in the truck bed.
With precise installation following this guide, you ensure optimal performance and longevity of the cover, ensuring it stands robust against the trials of time and travel.
Note: Always refer to the manufacturer’s manual and adhere to safety protocols during installation.
Mark Takahashi, Car parts guru with a passion for mechanics. Blogger extraordinaire, translating auto jargon into everyday magic. Drive into his world of knowledge!