How to Install Truxedo Truxport Tonneau Cover
Installing a Tonneau cover on your truck enhances its aesthetic appeal and offers added protection to the cargo area. The TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover is among the top choices for many truck owners due to its durability, ease of installation, and reliable performance. Here’s a comprehensive guide on how to install it.
- Begin by unboxing your new TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover and ensuring all components are present: the cover, right and left side rails, bulkhead seal, clamps, and other necessary hardware.
- Clear the truck bed of any debris and wipe it down with an alcohol prep pad to ensure a clean installation surface.
Applying the Bulkhead Seal
- Make sure the bulkhead (front edge of the truck bed) is clean and dry.
- Align the bulkhead seal, ensuring it’s straight and positioned to provide an optimal seal, protecting against water and dirt intrusion.
- Trim any excess length from the seal using scissors.
Attaching the Side Rails
- Attach the side rails to the Tonneau cover, making sure to adhere the weather seals on the end caps of the rails to prevent water leakage.
- Place the side rails atop the truck bed’s side and cautiously affix the clamps to hold them in place temporarily.
Aligning the Cover and Rails
- With the rails loosely attached, the Tonneau cover lay across the bulkhead, ensuring the “C” channel faces toward the rear.
- Ensure an even gap of approximately an eighth of an inch between the tailgate and the end of the cover on both sides to facilitate smooth operation.
- Make adjustments as necessary and verify alignment on both sides.
Secure the Side Rails
- Affix the clamps along each side rail, ensuring they’re as evenly spaced as possible: one at the front, one in the middle, and one towards the tailgate.
- Tighten the clamps adequately to secure the rails in place.
- Check the rails for stability and parallel alignment with the bed rails.
Roll Out and Adjust the Cover
- Gradually unroll the Tonneau cover toward the tailgate, ensuring it is smooth and wrinkle-free.
- Employ the latch mechanism to secure the cover, checking for proper tension and ensuring it’s taut (a bit like a drum when tapped).
- Make any necessary adjustments to the tension using the built-in adjustment features (such as rotating thumb nuts).
- Test the opening and closing mechanism of the Tonneau cover, ensuring a secure seal when closed and smooth retraction when opened.
- Check and confirm that the tailgate opens and closes without obstructing or being obstructed by the Tonneau cover.
- Ensure that all seals are tightly affixed and that there are no gaps where water or dust could enter.
- Optionally, you can splash water on the cover to test if there are any leaks or gaps that you may have missed.
- Walk around the installation, ensuring everything appears symmetrical, well-tightened, and aligned.
- Make any final adjustments to clamps, tension, and alignment as required.
Installing the TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover can be smooth when following the guided steps and taking careful measures to ensure accurate placement and tight seals.
With the cover securely installed, you not only enhance your truck’s aesthetic appeal but also add a layer of security and efficiency, protecting the contents of your bed and potentially improving fuel economy.
Always remember that careful installation will lead to a durable and effective Tonneau cover that will serve you reliably for years. If any questions arise during installation, refer to the manual provided or contact TruXedo’s customer service for assistance.
- Gator SR1 vs Truxedo Truxport
- Truxedo Truxport Tonneau Cover Review
- Extang Trifecta Installation Instructions
Mark Takahashi, Car parts guru with a passion for mechanics. Blogger extraordinaire, translating auto jargon into everyday magic. Drive into his world of knowledge!